A young sapling planted initially has blossomed into a tree spreading its branches and stems of education far and wide, the perfect example being Indian Education Society.
King George V visited India in the year 1911. The modest, simple calm and peace loving person made an announcement of "Education and Agitation. His great passion for education, encouraged people to spread its light by starting more and more schools. At times he also rendered a helping hand because he believed that "Education means training which widens our mental horizons".
Inspired by his thoughts, enthusiastic young men - Late Shri Nagesh Mahadev Kale, Late Krishnaji Mahadeo Barre, Late Shri Deshmukh, Late Shri Aras and Late Shri Koranne started "King George English School scaled great heights and on 29th September 1917, Indian Education Society came into existence. The dream was to have an ideal educational institution in the vicinity of Hindu Colony, Dadar.
This dream became a reality in 1926 when Late Shri Mathuradas Visanji contributed Rs.60,000/- and one lakh twenty three thousand rupees were contributed by several other people. With the help of these funds, seeds were sown for a strong foundation, which branched out to different schools as seen today in Raja Shivaji Vidya Sankul. This small institution was nourished by late Shri B.N.Vaidya, Late Shri S.V.Nabar, Late Shri P.Y.Patkar, Late Shri Manikrao Lotlikar and Late Shri Padmakar Dhamdhere and because of their immense contribution and sincere efforts, it has reached the pinnacle of glory today.
For the last 90 years it has been glittering and progressing in leaps and bounds. We can put it like this. Indian Education Society make good students and good students make Indian Education Society.
Keeping in view the social environment the first Girl's school was started at Ashlane, Dadar (W) in 1918. This school has been renamed as "Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Kanyashala" in appreciation of the Work done by Mahatma Jyotiba Phule - the founder in the field of Women's education. The number of the students went on multiplying with the result that the "Girls' School No. 2" was started at Hindu Colony, Dadar in the year 1937. The institute continued its quest for excellence and in order to meet the growing demand of school for boys at Dader (West), Pinto Villa Boys High School started in the year 1939. This school was later renamed as "S.V."Nabar Guruji Vidyalaya" in recognition of his dedication to work.
Because of the growing popularity of English Language, convent schools were becoming the center of attraction. With a view of imparting our Indian cultural values in English, English medium school was started in Dadar in 1968. Besides academics, on account of the various cultural activities carried out and also due to the homely atmosphere created, demand for new schools at various places gradually increased and thus started a series of new schools.
I.E.Society has spread its wings in all directions. All these schools are achieving creditable success by bagging laurels in various fields.
Architecture and Management College was also started at Manik Vidya Sankul as per the demand of today's generation. Because of effective management and qualitative education, the colleges have become quite popular and are progressing rapidly. The first batch appeared for the examination in the year 2000.
As the institution was heading towards achieving the largest and the best possible qualitative output, there was some dissatisfaction regarding the English name given to the school and unanimously it was decided to rename "King George English School" as "Raja Shivaji Vidyalaya" in 1974 in memory of the Great national hero "Shivaji Maharaj" who laid the foundation of Maratha power in India. Smt Sumitraraje Bhosale and Shri Babasaheb Purandre were the chief guests for this inaugural function.
The school was shifted to the new building in 1977. The memory of Shivaji Maharaj - embodiment of justice and tolerance, a guiding inspiration for the coming generations should be cherished with love and respect. With this viewpoint, statue of Shivaji Maharaj is installed in the school campus in 1989 by the Dnyanpeeth Award winner Kusumagraj alias V. W. Shirwadkar and the entire campus is named as "Raja Shivaji Vidya Sankul". It was a memorable event when Hon. Life Membership of the institution was conferred on Kavi Kusumagraj. Out Institution will always salute this humble and great architect.
A special feature whcih deserves mention is that some of the retired Heads, Teachers and other staff volunteer their services which the society is very glad to accept. Their rich experience is thus available to the Society in its working. The Governing Council of course consists of all Ex-Students who have attained distinctions in their life and so offer their honorary services in the cause of education.Amongst other functions the Society is very particular to celebrate 15th August, 26th January and 1st May as special days. Invariably retired personnel of the Military, Swatantrya Sainiks and distinguished personalities are invited to these functions, which serves as inspiration to the Teachers and Students. A special feature, which perhaps happens in our society, only is that a Student who has stood first amongst IES students at SSC examination does the Flag hoisting.
Kanjur Co-op Hsg. Society,
Mumbai - 400 042
Tel. No. : +91 022 2566 5958
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org